Author: Liane Adams
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) deadlines are looming and everyone has a stake in this, including nonprofits, whether or not you currently offer insurance to your employees. Employers must provide all employees with a Notice to Employees of Coverage Options by October 1, 2013.
This mandatory notice will let employees know that they might have affordable coverage available to them through the Exchange/Marketplace. Organizations will need to fill out some pertinent employer-specific information before giving the notice to all employees. More information is available at:
You can obtain sample employee notices in either English or Spanish (one version for employers who currently offer a health plan to some or all employees and one version for employers who currently do not offer a health plan). These samples, and an additional wealth of information for nonprofit and small business employers, are available at http://www.councilofnonprofits.org/how-will-affordable-care-act-impact-nonprofit. It will be well worth your time to peruse this website.
The information available through these resources includes:
- How to determine who are Full-Time Employees under the Affordable Care Act;
- Key provisions under the ACA for employers with 50 or more employees;
- Key provisions under the ACA for employers with up to 50 employees;
- Key provisions under the ACA for employers with fewer than 25 employees;
- Five ways the ACA helps America’s small businesses;
- New dates for the ACA 101 Webinars;
- Next steps in implementation of the health insurance marketplace; and
- Small employer credit: How it works and FAQs
In case you have missed the deadlines cited above, check out the listed websites for more information. Additionally, you may contact the Center for Nonprofit Excellence, United Way of Central New Mexico, located at 2340 Alamo SE, 2nd Floor, Albuquerque 87106 for assistance and answers to questions. This is the new health care landscape, so the more you know, the easier it will be.